The biggest secret to enjoying the perfect tan that is even and long lasting all lies in what you do in the before & after stages!
We have put together some key tips for preparing your skin for a tan, whether that be at home or in a Brazilian Butterfly salon.
Ensuring you look after your tan while it develops and continue to do so will ensure you maintain your results in the days and weeks that follow.
A luscious and longer lasting tan can be yours with the right advice.
Pre Tan Prep
- Exfoliate then moisturise 24 hours before you apply your self-tan. It’s best to pay particular attention to elbows, knees, ankles and problem dry areas to ensure these areas do not absorb too much tan.
- Wax or shave at least 24 hours prior to treatment. This allows the pores of your skin time to close and will help avoid dark dots in your pores. If you do not remove unwanted hair, having to shave over your tan will remove the tan from your skin faster.
- Leading up to your tan application, avoid using bar soaps, high pH shower products, oil-based products or in-shower moisturisers, including hair conditioner. These products can act as a barrier against your skin and can prevent the fast-acting tanning agents from developing which could result in a less satisfying tan.
- Before applying your self-tan, make sure your skin is clean and dry. Keep in mind that too much moisture causes tanning products to slide right off the skin. You can apply a small amount of moisturising lotion on your knees and elbows — these are the areas where generally too much of the tanner is absorbed. This will help these areas from becoming too dark.
- We recommend that you avoid applying moisturiser, perfume, deodorant or makeup on the day you are going to apply your tan. These may cause discoloration or a patchy tan result that won’t last as long.
All the above tan prep tips are suggested for at home tanning OR in salon spray tans with Brazilian Butterfly!
Tan Application Checklist
- You should always apply a self-tan foam or lotion with a Brazilian Butterfly Tan Applicator Mitt to ensure blended, even coverage as well as to protect your hands from absorbing the product.
- If using a foam or lotion, apply in circular motions to your skin starting from the legs and working your way up.
- Use minimal product on drier/problem/sensitive areas like your face, elbows, hands, knees and feet. You can also apply moisturiser to these areas before tanning to create a light barrier, so they absorb less product in the dry spots to avoid tan build up.
Post Tan Checklist
- 1-3+ hours post tan application, you can shower quickly for 45 seconds, with lukewarm water. The brown bronzers will wash away, while the fast tan active ingredients continue to work and deepen over the next 24 hours. Do not use hot water – it stops the development of tan actives during the development stage. This is a common mistake people make, especially in the colder months.
- Do not use any shower gels, scrubs, shampoo, conditioner or loofas until 24 hours post treatment.
- Pat your skin dry. Do not rub or scrub your skin.
- Moisturise every day after applying your self-tan. Using the MineTan Booster Foam will keep your skin hydrated while also topping up the colour of your tan. Not only will you have a longer lasting tan, you will have hydrated, glowing skin.
- The best way to ensure that your face tan does not fade dramatically before the rest of your body is to use the MineTan Rose Illuminating Facial Mist every second day. Just a few light sprays for that tanned glow.
Visit your local Brazilian Butterfly salon or shop online now for the ultimate in your home tanning needs!